Thursday, December 1, 2011

Electricity Usage

I guess this is an issue more to me now, because of personal reasons.  I have to pay for the electricity in my apartment, which this year is a new thing for me.  I also have two other roommates, so the three of us divide the bill into three and each pay the same amount.  Obviously, this is something I care about, because this s money that is coming out of my own bank account.  I almost feel kind of silly to have to fact that I have to pay my own electricity really spark my interest in this topic, but I guess it is better late than never.  It's not like before I did not care at all about electricity, it is not like I always left the lights on whatever I left the room or anything.  That is something that I have just grown up with, is that whenever you leave the room or house you turn off all of the electrical devices and lights that you were not using.  But now, with me having to pay my own electricity in my apartment, and with the help of this class that also really made me open my eyes to all of the environmental issues going on.  Clearly using too much electricity is causing major issues on this planet.  The overuse of electricity is one of the causes of global warming, just think how much electricity could be cut if everybody turned off all of their lights and electrics every time that they left the room or when they left their house?  I know that every light bulb in not just my apartment, but in my house at home are the compact florescent light bulbs that not only save money on your electric bill, but they last longer, and they do not use as much electricity as regular light bulbs.  And I know that this is a something else that may seem huge, but it is something that is very simple and that could save even more energy.  This is something that I do along with my roommates.  When an electric device is not being used, other than turning it off, why no just completely unplug  it from the outlet all together?  When an electric device is turned off, but still plugged into the electric outlet, that device, no matter what it is, is still receiving energy from the outlet.  If you take the two seconds it takes to actually unplug something, you would be saving so much more energy.  I honestly do not understand why some people do not even turn off their lights, or turn off their television or whatever other electric device they are using.  It really does not take that much time or energy to do, and it is a simple task that can not only cut down their electric bill, but it can help stop global warming and help save the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment