Thursday, May 3, 2012

Is the new Tonto Jack Sparrow?

I think we have all heard what I'm about to blog about, but just in case you didn't I'll let you know about Johnny Depp. I don't think that I know one person who doesn't know who Johnny Depp is, but I digress. So, Mr. Depp is one of the stars in the remake of the movie The Lone Ranger. Can anyone guess who he is going to be? You guessed right...he is going to be Tonto. Now, the article that I recently read, "Johnny Depp's Explanation of Tonto Costume Both Clarifies and Muddles", is not about Johnny Depp actually playing Tonto, but it is about the outfit that he chooses to attire himself in. I will put a link of the picture below, but let me tell you, it is definitely out there. The articles explains that, "...many people were puzzled.The bird on the head, the white face paint, the black vertical lines, the bandanas, the bird on the head—Indian and non-Indian movie followers wondered whether they were looking at a colossal misfire of a costume or something incredibly authentic that had been all but forgotten."


There is a comment that he looks like he is playing his character of Jack Sparrow. Now, one is to ask, why would he do this? This costume is so outrages. Depp states that, "“It just so happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior’s head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top. … I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his head. It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive.”  So what Depp did was look at a painting by a non-Native man, and took his idea that this man has made up in his head.  Sattler has been noted for saying that the image was painted was completely thought of by himself.

So now the current question is; why would Mr. Depp wear this ridiculous outfit when he knows that it is completely outrages and not Native American at all?  You would think that this man would actually do some research and try to do things accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment